Tofuku-ji is the head temple of the Tofoku-ji school of the Rinzai sect of Zen Buddhism founded in 1236. The temple suffered from repeated fires and wars. The latest reconstruction dates from 1892. The main building is completely surrounded by four gardens. Each garden has a different character. Gardens were designed in 1939 by an important artist, designer and connoisseur of the history of Japanese gardens Shigemori Mirei (1896-1975).