The Sento Gosho Palace was the residence of the retired emperor constructed in 1630. It was destroyed by fire and reconstructed several times. After the last fire in 1854 the Palace Sento Gosho was not rebuilt. The stroll garden of the Palace was designed in 1630 by a Zen priest, tea master and designer Kobori Enshu. The garden consists of the north and the south pond, with bridges and islands, later the two ponds were connected and surrounded by a strolling path. The south pond is notable for its cobblestone shore line. Each pond has its own tea house.