Honpo-ji temple, situated in the middle of Kyoto, was founded in 1436 by a Nichiren Buddhist sect priest Nisshin. Burned many times, but in 1587 rebuilt and relocated to its current place. The temple features two gardens. The principal garden called “Mitsudomoe no niwa” was designed by Honami Koetsu (1558-1637). A smaller dry garden is situated between the Main Hall of the temple and the ceremonial gate.