Manshu-in is another “monzeki” temple of the Tendai sect initially built in 728 on Mount Hiei. In 1656 when the head priest of the temple was prince Ryosho, the temple was moved to its present location in the north-east part of Kyoto. Prince Ryosho, a son of Prince Toshihito who created Katsura Rikyu, devoted himself to the successful reconstruction of the temple and the creation of a garden. The temple has a large “karesansui” (dry garden) with the sea of white gravel and two main islands. The crane island is located in front of the Study Hall. It features a 400 year old pine tree which represents a crane. The turtle island is set in the northern part of the garden.