Komyo-in is one of the sub-temples of Tofuku-ji, founded in 1391. The dry garden of the temple was laid out in 1939 by Shigemori Mirei. The garden contains three times a grouping of three stones called “sanzon-seki” or “Buddhist triad”, which represent Buddha with a bodhisatva on either side. The eastern side of the garden is closed by a bank of clipped azaleas that represent clouds.